Monterey Bay Aquarium
Ages: 0 and up
Cost: adult $29.95 | child (3-12) $19.95 | under 3 free
Parking: Yes - metered street parking, pay lots in the area
Features: Picnic Area, Outside Food Allowed, Shop, Restaurant, Wi-Fi, Snack Stand, Restrooms, Lockers, Handicap Accessible, Family Friendly, Changing Table
The Monterey Bay Aquarium is home to over 550 species of sea life and has been a pioneer in rescuing and rehabilitating such life for over 25 years.
The daily activities — Kelp Forest feeding, penguin feeding, sea otter feeding, the Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute's presentations — are anything but regular. Because live animals are involved, visitors are never viewing the same event twice.
Children will enjoy the interactive learning exhibits scattered throughout the aquarium, including a 40-foot long Touch Pool, a walk-through canopy of sea kelp, interactive games and quizzes, and even a dress up area.
Crazy fun adventures await. Special arrangements must be made, but they are well worth the effort expended.
Know before you go:
- A penguin chick was born in January 2011!
- Detailed parking information can be found here.
- Open every day except Dec. 25
- Regular hours: 10 am-6 pm
- Winter: 10 am-5 pm
- Summer/holidays: 9:30 am-6 pm
- Summer weekends: 9:30 am-8 pm
- Reservations required for full-service restaurant dining. Casual dining available without prior reservations.
- The least congested time at the aquarium is from 2pm-6pm, and during peak summer months, try to visit midweek.
Reviewed on 12/11/2013
The aquarium is fun because we went as kids, BUT what you remember as a child and what you experience as an adult are two very conflicting things. There are some great things...love all the fish tanks. But it has gotten more expensive to go and there just doesn't seem like a whole lot to do. Not my first choice of entertainment since it is a long drive for us, but a decent value.
Reviewed on 03/23/2011
The Monterey Bay Aquarium is awesome! We can't wait to go again!