Alameda County Fair
Ages: 1 and up
Cost: adult $10 | child $6 | children under 6 are free
Parking: Yes - $10 (gate 8 & 12) | preferred $15 (gate 8) | VIP $20 (Pleasanton Ave.)
Features: Petting Zoo, Stroller Friendly, Snack Stand, Restrooms, Changing Table, Discounts, Family Friendly, Handicap Accessible
Come out and play at the Alameda County Fair, 100 years in the making! The fair is held in Pleasanton at the Alameda County Fairgrounds, and is one of the state's largest county fairs with nearly a half million families visiting each year.
Large commercial buildings feature vendors selling everything from hot tubs and ladders to feather hair extensions and blenders powerful enough to chop up metal. Festival Square features a different cultural celebration each weekend. Model train enthusiasts showcase their intricate track designs.
While some of these things might not be on the top of your "must see, must do" at the fair, noshing on fair food probably is. The Alameda County Fair has all the innovative "new" fair fare: fried Kool-Aid, huge burgers, foot-long corn dogs and more.
There are TONS of things to do at the Alameda County Fair if you're a young fair-goer:
- Visit the County's Largest Classroom, a hands-on learning activity center focusing on science, math, music, robotics, agriculture, environment, composting, worm farming, cooking, and livestock production.
- The Discovery Quest Program, open daily, is self-guided educational tour for children in Kindergarten through grade 8.
- Hit the World of Music exhibit, a hands-on musical museum, featuring rhythm workshops and drum circles.
- The Super Science Exhibit houses interactive, hands-on puzzles, mind bogglers, optical illusions, and more physics fun.
- Don't miss these fun attractions: Kids Pedal Tractor Pulls, the All-Alaskan Pig Races, Let's Pretend Farm Time Tour, the Great American Petting Zoo, and all of the 4-H and FFA livestock exhibits & small animal exhibits.
- Introduction to geocaching will be held each Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
- A child-friendly midway is on the east side of the fairgrounds, where most rides are for those 48" or smaller. (The larger midway is on the west side of the grounds.)
- Tickets or Unlimited Ride wristbands are available for purchase.
- Most rides take 3-4 tickets per ride.
- Unlimited Ride wristbands are $27 on weekdays and $30 on Saturday and Sunday.
- Children under 36" may not ride alone.
Discounted admission tickets and ride options are available.
The fair has a fireworks display scheduled for Fridays: June 22, 29, and July 6. The fireworks show is held at the racetrack on the east side of the fairgrounds. For other special events, including live horse races and daily concert information, visit the fair's calendar.
Reviewed on 06/27/2011
Oh, does the excitement build in our household each June! The Alameda County Fair is an annual Absolutely Must See, Absolutely Must Do for the flock!
No fair compares to the Alameda County Fair, which opens each year in late June and continues through early July. The weather at this fair is perfect, the food is always top-notch, and the kid activities are spectacular.
There are TONS of buildings and exhibits...more