The Chartreuse Muse
Ages: 3 and up
Cost: see website for details
Parking: Yes - street
Features: Family Style Classes, Shop, Discounts, Restrooms
The Chartreuse Muse is a gallery and art school offering a broad range of art curriculum. Art instruction is available for preschoolers to adult. Material costs are generally covered by tuition fees.
Classes are as follows:
- Mommy & Me class is a monthly class which offers little ones a first taste of art. (PreK-K)
- Art Adventures is a weekly class designed to introduce children to the basic elements of art. (K-8th grade)
- Family Art Adventures is a is a weekly class offered to families so that the basics of art theory may be explored together. (K-6th grade)
- The Fundamentals of Drawing (K-12th grade) class meets four times a month.
- Studio Art is an in-depth series focusing on advanced elements of art, is for 5th-12th graders, and meets four times a month.
- Creative Clay is a fun, tactile class that meets twice a month. Students make decorative, food-safe projects for the home or table.
- Family Creative Clay is designed for families to work together creating fun clay items.
- Semi-private and private instruction is also available.
- Fundamentals of Painting III explores different theories and techniques of painting, using watercolors, tempura and acrylics.
- Cultural Creations allows students to learn about art from different cultures.
Chartreuse Muse will also work to organize a child's birthday party or an art enrichment class for scout troops or other children's groups, and a "Mobile Muse" will bring the art to a school or homeschoolers. Call for more information on these services.
The air-conditioned art classroom is a wonderful escape from the sweltering Central Valley summer heat! Chartreuse Muse offers Summer Art Camp, where students can keep the imaginative spark alive and socialize while learning something new. The classes are offered as weekly camps, with a morning or afternoon option. Prices vary based on age, and discounts are offered for three or more kids, or three or more camps. See the Summer Art Camp page of the website for more details. Each camp gives the student an opportunity to work with many medias: drawing, painting and ceramics. All materials are included in the price of the camp, but parents are responsible to pack a snack.
Reviewed on 05/24/2011
Went to a Mom's Club Playdate here and my 3 1/2 little artist had a blast! She loved the story and painting and was so proud of her work. The instructor was super sweet and patient. Then she made a point to go around and give huge praise to each child for the work they did and then held it up for everyone else to see. My daughter's face lit up with pride when her work was showed off. When we got home she ran to her daddy and told him...more
Reviewed on 01/31/2011
My kids don't start until next week but I have to say that getting them signed up was a breeze! Very friendly and easy going staff!
Reviewed on 01/03/2011
Dropping my flock off at the studio only to return to bright shiny faces and hands full of artwork is one of the best sights I have seen.
The classes are well-designed and really quite thorough in regards to the art education provided, even for the youngest set. Ms. Roehne and her staff at the studio are all very patient with the children and treat each student and his or her artwork with respect.
Reviewed on 11/08/2010
We began taking "Art Adventures" when I used to homeschool my oldest child, as our affiliated charter school offered us the ability to go to The Chartreuse Muse as part of our curriculum. The "Art Adventures" program is a great covers-all-bases elementary introduction to art, especially when taken in consecutive sessions. There were times when my child came home a bit dissatisfied with the week's lesson: "We only pencil sketched ALL afternoon!"...more